Prévisions Météo du 3 janvier 2015
Les vents d’est modérés qui règnent sur la mer d’Alboran tendent à se renforcer à l’approche de Gibraltar ainsi que dans les abords occidentaux du golfe de Cadix.
Le vent d’est se renforce à l’aval du détroit et devrait emmener la flotte rapidement vers l’ouest, contournant une zone de vents plus faibles le long des côtes marocaines. La transition vers les alizés de NE est attendue pour lundi au nord des îles Canaries.
*** SYNOPSIS ***
00Z SATURDAY (03-JAN-2015):
1) The multi-centered high pressure continues across southwest Europe. Primary centers of high pressure over central Spain (1039mb), northwestern Algeria (1039mb) and over the Atlantic west of Portugal (1038mb) near 40N/14W.
2) A trough of low pressure lies just off the Moroccan coast from Lanzarote to of Casablanca.
3) Moderate E’ly winds persist across the Alboran Sea, but will very gradually ease today from east to west.
4) E’lies channel through Gibraltar and accelerate downwind of the strait across the Gulf of Cadiz, to west of 10W. There is a solid band of pressure the backs from E near Gibraltar to ENE near 10W. Lighter, more left-shifted winds are found south of the accelerated breeze and off the Moroccan coast. Winds are expected continue easing off the Moroccan coast as winds veer more E/SE with the trough shifting slowly west.
00Z SUNDAY (04-JAN-2015):
1) High pressure (1038mb) will be centered off the northwest Spanish coast near 41N/13W.
2) A trough of low pressure will be moving slowly east off the Moroccan coast, through it will be weakening through Sunday.
3) E’ly flow downwind of Gibraltar and across the Gulf of Cadiz will be easing and backing ENE with time as the trough weakens. West of about 15W, there will be E veering SE flow around the western periphery of the high pressure to the north.
4) This E/ENE flow will be easing through the day as the trough lifts northwest and eases. A light S’ly flow will spread north along the Moroccan coast to cross the western approaches of Gibraltar.
5) Further south, there is an E/SE flow out of northern Africa and across the Canary Island. Winds will be fresh, covering a large area south of 31N down to 25N. The exception is areas northeast of Lanzarote where the trough is keeping winds lighter.
00Z MONDAY (05-JAN-2015):
1) A trough of low pressure extends from about Lanzarote north to the Gulf of Cadiz. There will be a weak low pressure (1030mb) circulation embedded with the trough off Casablanca.
2) High pressure (1032mb) will move to north of Madeira near 37N/17W.
3) Light N’lies between the high and Casablanca low.
4) The E/SE flow across the Canary Island will be easing.
00Z TUESDAY (06-JAN-2015):
1) Big changes as the trade winds start to re-establish north of the Canary Islands.
2) High pressure (1031mb) will be north of Madeira near 35N/16W.
3) The weak coastal trough that was off Morocco will shift inland and dissipate.
4) N/NE winds will be develop around the southeastern quadrant of the high to the Moroccan coast.
5) The zone of ESE/E winds across the Canary Islands will back to the NE.
General Forecast along race route
*** SATURDAY (03-JAN-2015) ***
>>> ALBORAN SEA: Generally E 10-15, except possible stronger 15-20 closer to Gibraltar. Winds easing over the eastern and central sections through the day, becoming 5-10. Lighter near the Spanish coast, especially afternoon where light thermal sea breeze are possible.
>>> GIBRALTAR: E 15-20 in the east, increasing to 20-25 with in an acceleration zone with 30 possible out of the western Strait. During the afternoon and into the evening, a slow easing trend with winds diminishing 13-17 gusting 20-25 possible.
>>> GULF OF CADIZ (North of 35N and East of 10W): ENE/E 20-30 downwind of Gibraltar. Lighter winds north along the Spanish coast and much lighter south of Larache on the Morrocan coast. The acceleration zone will continue all the way west to 10W, easing to ENE/NE 15-20 in the west.
>>> MOROCCAN COAST (30N to 35N and east of 10W): E/NE 10-15, easing NE/N 7-13, becoming mostly light and variable.
SEAS: 0.5-1m. Rougher in the Gibraltar Strait where and when wind opposes tide. In the Gulf of Cadiz, waves up to 2-3 in the acceleration zone, decreasing to 1m outside the zone toward the Spanish coast and the Moroccan coast.
WEATHER: Clouds decreasing around Gibraltar. Fine conditions elsewhere with no areas of significant showers or rain.
*** SUNDAY (04-JAN-2015) ***
>>> GIBRALTAR: E 15-20 early morning, easing quickly through the morning and possible becoming SW/W 5-10 in the afternoon/evening.
>>> GULF OF CADIZ (North of 35N and East of 10W): In the early morning, continued NE/E accelerated flow downwind of Gibraltar 20-25 knots close to the strait easing to 15-20 with distance west. However, rapidly easing in the afternoon with a light S’ly 5-10 filling up from the off the Moroccan coast into the Gulf.
>>> MOROCCAN COAST (30N to 35N and East of 10W): Becoming light and variable before a S/SW fill 5-10 afternoon through evening north of 33N. Light and variable winds hold south of 33N.
>>> OPEN ATLANTIC (10W to 15W and North of 28N): E/ENE 10-15 becoming light and variable before a general N/NW flow develops 5-10 after sunset.
SEAS: 1-2m downwind of Gibraltar subsiding. Elsewhere generally 1m or less.
WEATHER: Mainly fine. No areas of significant showers or rain.
*** MONDAY (05-JAN-2015) ***
>>> GIBRALTAR: Variable to W 3-8.
>>> GULF OF CADIZ (North of 35N and East of 10W): S 5-10 becoming NW 10-15 near 10W decreasing W 5-10 7W. Lighter close to Gibraltar.
>>> MOROCCAN COAST (30N to 35N and East of 10W): S 5-10 becoming NW 10-15 near 10W decreasing NW/W 5-10 near the Moroccan coast.
>>> OPEN ATLANTIC (10W to 15W and north of 28N): NW 5-10 tending NW/N 10-15 and possibly 15-20.
>>> CANARY ISLAND (African coast to 20W and 25N to 30N): SE/E 15-20 rapidly easing 10-15 tending E/NE. Lighter downwind (west) of the Canary Islands.
>>> OPEN ATLANTIC (20W to 25W and 25N to 30N): Light downwind (west/northwest) of the Canary Islands. Otherwise, E 13-18 tending NE.
SEAS: Generally 1m or less close to African coast. Elsewhere, 1-2m.
WEATHER: Clouds decreasing around Gibraltar. Fine conditions elsewhere with no significant areas of showers or rain.