We Are Water Up to Fourth

It seems quite likely that GAES Centros Auditivos and Neutrogena are in AIS contact with one another now. At just 12 miles apart in the middle of the South Pactific, GAES Centros Auditivos looks to have timed their last gybe to track the wake of Neutrogena.

News FEB 21, 2015 07:35

Regardless, they are as close as they have been, both moving at about the same speeds as the match heads for Cape Horn in 20kts of SW'ly wind. Their breeze will pick up today to around 25kts. Both of the 'twins' are doing about 16.5kts this morning and they should continue to stick together for the foreseeable future.

Leaders Cheminées Poujoulat have 1350 miles to Cape Horn and are just ahead of the system which was a subtropical low. As it comes to them Bernard Stamm and Jean Le Cam will see their winds rise from 25 to 30-40kts this afternoon. Their lead over Neutrogena is 1211 miles.

Renault Captur have been slowed as they approach Wellington with headwinds. AT 0500hrs UTC this morning Jorg Riechers and Sébastien Audigane had just over 100 miles to sail. They should arrive in the late afternoon, early evening CET - so early Sunday morning local time. If their stop takes 48 hours as the duo seemed to indicate, that would have Spirit of Hungary at about the same longitude as they leave.

We Are Water are up to fourth place, benefiting as Renault Captur head northwards to Wellington. They are sharing the opposite side of a high pressure system from rivals One Planet One Ocean. That system is moving east with them and so they continue to have relatively similar conditions moving with them. We Are Water, Bruno and Willy Garcia, have SW'ly winds and are making just less than 14kts, while One Planet One Ocean are crossing the midpoint of the race today, but are a little slowed.

Spirit of Hungary are just ahead of a cold front which will bring them fresh breezes at least for the next 24 to 36 hours, times for good speeds and good gains. Between Sunday and Monday they will have new system with 35kts from the N and NW. This morning Nandor Fa reported a problem again with their halyard lock for the mainsail which has necessitated another trip to the top of the mast for Conrad Colman

"We have too much work to do. The main sail's top lock has broken again, the sail neither goes up, neither down.
In 40 knots of wind Conrad had to go up to cut it off the slider. Now the sail can slide freely, but the lock is stuck at the first reef line. Later when the wind has calmed we will fix it. We progress well, but the price is high in equipment and in energy."