One year to go: the Barcelona World Race 2018/19 Notice of Race is published
The Race Management team has unveiled the regatta’s key document, where the official rules for the fourth edition of the race are laid out,
With 365 days to go until the start of the fourth edition of the Barcelona World Race (12th January 2019), Barcelona’s round the world regatta has issued the official document containing details of the key rules of the regatta.
This Notice of Race for the Barcelona World Race 2018/19 has been eagerly anticipated. Changes to racing dates, the competition format, which now has two legs and an option to change co-skipper in the second leg, are new features which mean the IMOCA calendar’s double-handed round the world event has a brand-new look.
The most significant changes set out in the document are as follows:
1. The deadline for registrations is the 30th September 2018.
2. The start will be given in Barcelona on the 12th January 2019, at 13:00 (GMT+1).
3. The official press conference will take place on the 10th January 2019 at 12:00 (GMT+1).
4. The start in Sydney of the second leg will be on the 9th March 2019.
5. All boats must start the second leg of the regatta no later than 48 hours after the official start of the leg is given.
6. A single technical stopover for repairs or medical assistance is permitted on each leg.
7. Final overall rankings for the Barcelona World Race 2018/19 will be calculated based on the sum of points gained across both legs.