Weather Forecast 30/03/2015
Moderate Wílies carried GAES Centros Auditivos through the Gibraltar Strait. These Wíly winds will carry then east through the Alboran Sea. There will be afternoon sea breeze enhancement of this flow on the Spanish shore.
We Are Water and One Planet have benefitted from veering winds N NE winds veering to E then SE. This is allowing them to sail east of due north,
pulling back some of the mileage lost as they sailed an initial course well west into the North Atlantic.
Renault Captur is sailing north-northwest in light-moderate NEíly trade winds. So far, they have the western-most routecompared to the preceding
boats as they sail north through the North Atlantic trade winds.
Spirit of Hungary has finally reached the SEíly trade wind zone of the South Atlantic, They should make some better progress north through the next couple days.
*** SYNOPSIS ***
00Z MONDAY (30-MAR-2015)
1) A cold front pushes north to 22S at 30W. There will be a weak ridge of
high pressure lying at 16S, with E/SE trades north of this ridge.
2) Doldrums at 05S, but a NE break of north Atlantic trade winds will
extending all the way to the Brazil coast west of 32W. A very broad
patch of light winds west of 30W from 05S to 01N.
3) NNE/NE trades north of Equator. Generally lighter and more left north
west of 30W, and stronger, more right west of 30W. NE component
dominates to west of the Cape Verde Islands.
4) North of the Cape Verde Islands, winds veer more Eíly and increase,
especially west of 20W. East of 20W, winds off the African coast hold
NE and stronger.
5) High pressure (1037mb) will support stronger Eílies north of 30N and
west of Madeira/Canary Islands. East of Madeira, the winds fresh N/NE.
6) Generally light Wílies south of Spain, backing to SW east of the
country. Very light winds in the Gulf of Valencia, but stronger SW
across the Balearic Islands.
00Z TUESDAY (31-MAR-2015)
1) Modeate E/SE trade winds from 16S to 04S, where the southern doldrums
boundary will be present.
2) The doldrums will be wide ñ especially east of 30W. There, extremely
light and variable winds from 04S to about 01N. West of 30W, some E
winds will persist within the doldrums.
3) The North Atlantic trade winds will be backed NNE west of 30W and
mainly moderate in strength from 03N to 18N. East of 30W, N/NNE winds
much lighter south of 08N. Then NE moderate trades north of 08N to 22N.
4) High pressure (1035mb) near 40N/18W. Stronger N winds along the
Portuguese coast veering NE from Madeira to the Canary Islands.
5) In the med, a strong NW mistral out of the Gulf of Lyon, but winds
well west of the sailing area. Closer to spain, mainly easing W winds
through the Gibraltar Strait, extending to Ibiza. A transition zone
across the Gulf of Valencia to Palma, then developing NW winds along
the Spanish coast south of Barcelona.
00Z WEDNESDAY (01-APR-2015)
1) The Trade wind zone of the South Atlantic between 16S and 04S along
30W. E/ESE winds at 16S veer to SE at 04S and the southern doldrums
boundary. Strongest winds within the doldrums will be between about
14S and 08S.
2) Doldrums narrow to 04S to 02S, but Níly winds on the north side are
light for some distance N. The doldrums will be wider east of 30W and
a narrower west of 30W.
3) East of 30W, Níly winds veer to more typical NE trade winds and
increase. West of 30W, NNE trade winds are more persistent from the
Equator to 07N.
4) From 07N, NE trade winds moderate but somewhat unstable north to 27N.
Winds more left-shifted to NNE and stronger off the African coast and
between the Canary Islands and Cape Verde Islands.
5) High pressure (1036mb) near 43S/17W, with a ridge extending southwest
to 30N/30W. Generally N winds off Portuguese coast veering to NE/E
across Madeira and to 30N.
6) Light and variable conditions Gibraltar Strait and across the Alboran
Sea and much of the southwestern Mediterranean Sea. Local overnight
drainage winds and daytime coastal sea breezes.
7) A NW mistral will be blowing across the Gulf of Lyon, but this breeze
is not expected to extend to the Balearic Sea or Gulf of Valencia.
Here, coastal drainage winds will dominate overnight and morning hours,
with afternoon sea breeze developing along much of the coast.
General Forecast along race route
*** MONDAY (30-MAR-2015) ***
* 15S to 10S and 35W to 25W *
WIND: ESE 10-15 tending SE near 10S.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy, scattered showers
* 10S to 05S and 35W to 25W *
WIND: SE 10-15, easing close to 05S.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy, scattered showers.
* 05N to 10N and 40W to 30W *
WIND: NE 10-15, some local areas 15-20.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy
* 10N to 15N and 40W to 30W *
WIND: NE 10-15
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* 25N to 30N and 32W to 22W
WIND: E/SE 12-17 tending E/ENE 10-15.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* Alboran Sea *
WIND: W 5-15. Tending SW along the Spanish coast during the afternoon sea
SEAS: Less than 1m
* Southwestern Mediterranean Sea *
WIND: Light and variable except for coastal drainage winds overnight and
morning hours. Sea breezes along the immediate coast in the afternoon
tending SE 10-15.
WEATHER: Partly to mostly sunny