Weather Forecast 27/03/2015
Second place Neutrogena and third place GAES Centros Auditivos continue sailing upwind angles toward Gibraltar. Wind angles are expected to free up approaching the strait, but winds will ease as well. We Are Water and One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton are now able to sail more northerly courses as winds have veered right. Unfortunately, the veering trend has come with some lighter wind speed as well. Renault Captur has entered the doldrums from a rather westerly position. At the moment, it appears this is the best option for holding onto the SE trades longer and keeping some wind through the transition. That said, it will get lighter and they have a day or so of slower sailing before reaching the NE trades to the north of the doldrums. Finally, Spirit of Hungary has arrive in the transition zone between the gradients of the westerlies and the trade winds. This is a pretty wide area of lighter and variable winds, which will slow their northward progress for the next couple days.
*** SYNOPSIS ***
00Z FRIDAY (27-MAR-2015)
1) Deep low (993mb) w front extending north to Rio. Strong N/NW wind
ahead of the front to 30S. Fresh to strong W/SW winds south of the
front up to 30S.
2) A ridge of high pressure extends southeast of Cabo Frio with E wind
north of the ridge to the edge of a light and variable wind zone
between 19S and 17S.
3) North of 17S, e/SE trade winds extend north of 04S.
4) The doldrums rapidly shrinking 03S to 01S. Some light winds will
persist within the doldrums, but there will be some calm patches,
especially between 03S and 02S.
5) North of the Equator, NE trade winds ease a bit and are light to
moderate to 09N. Generally stronger winds west of 30W.
6) Trades will build north of 09N and are moderate north to about 31N.
Stronger NE trade east of 30W and especially between the Canary
Islands and Cape Verde Islands.
7) High pressure (1033mb) near 38N/16W. N/NE wind between Portuguese
coast to Canary Islands and west across the Gulf of Cadiz where the
wind becoming NW and then W entering the Gibraltar Strait.
8) Flow building though Gibraltar Strait and into the southwest Med where
it will become fresh Wíly.
9) A fresh NW gradient flow will be along the Spanish coast as a NW
Mistral develops out of the Gulf of Lyon. Some lighter winds in the
immediate vicinity of Barcelona, although some stronger NW winds not
too far to the south.
00Z SATURDAY (28-MAR-2015)
1) Ridge of high pressure with light winds extends southeast of Cabo Frio.
2) Weak front off Brazil coast from 16S/38W to 18S/30W to 30S/11W. W/NW
wind north of front and light E/SE wind south of the front to the
ridge noted above.
3) Another ridge just north of the front along 16S with light and
variable wind extending to 15S. E trade winds north of the ridge axis
and north of 15S.
4) Doldrums 05S to 02S. Light NE winds from 02S to Equator.
5) North of the Equator, NNE/NE light-moderate winds to 10N. Becoming
moderate NE at 10N to 18N, veering ENE/E north of 18N. However,
holding NE off African coast from the Canary Islands to the Cape Verde
6) High pressure (1032mb) 39N/17W with moderate to fresh N/NE winds from
Portugal to the Canary Islands. Níly winds across the Gulf of Cadiz,
but light and variable tending Wíly into Gibraltar Strait.
7) Becoming moderate Wíly into the Alboran Sea. A transition zone over
the Balearic Islands before NW mistral flow off the Spanish coast.
Strong winds confined to valley exit regions, with light and variable
conditions in between.
00Z SUNDAY (29-MAR-2015)
1) Ridge of High pressure with light winds off Brazilian coast along 17S.
2) SE trade winds light-moderate 17S to 07S. The doldrums suppressed well
south to near 06S. Light winds within the doldrums with a northern
boundary near 02S.
3) North of the doldrums, NNE/NE wind 02S increasing with distance north.
Winds stronger and more right-shifted west of 30W.
4) ENE trades north of 17N, tending stronger east of 30W.
5) High pressure (1038mb) 39N/22W. Fresh N/NNE winds from Portuguese
coast to Canary Islands, veering NE to ENE from Canary Islands to Cape
Verde Islands. Stronger along the African Coast.
6) High pressure ridge building across northern Spain through southern
France. Moderate Wíly winds through Gibraltar Strait and into Alboran
7) Mistral out of Gulf of Lyon, but SW to variable winds across the
Balearic Islands and into the Gulf of Valencia.
General Forecast along race route
*** FRIDAY (27-MAR-2015) ***
* 20S to 15S and 35W to 25W *
WIND: SE 5-15, becoming light and variable north of 16S.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy, showers likely with a few squalls possible
* 15S to 10S and 35W to 25W *
WIND: E/ESE 5-15
WEATHER: Partly cloudy, scattered showers
* 05S to 00S and 37W to 27W *
WIND: SE 10-15 south of 03S. Becoming light and variable 03S to 02S. Then
north of 02S, developing N/NE winds 5-10.
WEATHER: Cloudy with showers and a few squalls.
* 00S to 05N and 37W to 27W *
WIND: NNE 5-15, increasing with distance north to 10-20. Generally stronger
and slightly more right-shifted west of 30w.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy
* 10N to 15N and 38W to 28W
WIND: NE 10-15
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* 15N to 20N and 38W to 28W
WIND: NE/ENE 10-15
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* 30N to 35N and 20W to African coast *
WIND: N/NNE 15-20. NW along the African coast PM.
SEAS: Building 2-3m.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* Gulf of Cadiz *
WIND: NNW/NW 5-15
SEAS: Building 1m.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with scattered showers near Gibraltar.