Weather Forecast 17/04/2015
Spirit of Hungary is running into the Gibraltar Strait, and will enter the Med with favorable winds initially. Winds are expected to get very light tomorrow, with the main breezes being near coastal sea breezes on both the Spanish and Moroccan coasts.
*** SYNOPSIS ***
00Z FRIDAY (17-APR-2015)
1) High pressure (1026mb) near 39N/35W. Low pressure (1012mb) near
44N/13W. A N tending NW flow of moderate wind across the Gulf of Cadiz.
2) A broad flow of light SW winds across the Alboran Sea and into the
southwestern Med. Sea breezes will be prevalent across the southern
coast of Spain.
3) Lighter winds with overnight land breezes and daytime sea breezes from
the Gulf of Valencia to Barcelona.
00Z SATURDAY (18-APR-2015)
1) Low pressure (1014mb) at 43N/10W with high pressure (1023mb) near
36N/18W. Generally moderate N/NNW flow across the Gulf of Cadiz and
down the Moroccan coast.
2) A trough of low pressure extends from the low across Iberia and the
Alboran Sea to northwest Algeria. Light and variable conditions in the
Gibraltar Strait and Alboran Sea. Coastl afternoon sea breezes prevail
on the Spanish coast.
3) A light SE flow over the Balearic Islands and into the Gulf of
Valencia. Sea breezes along the east coast of Spain in the afternoon.
00Z SUNDAY (19-APR-2015)
1) High pressure (1022mb) near 35N/16W with a ridge extending northeast
across southern Portugal and into central Spain. A second ridge will
extend east across northern Morocco and into northwest Algeria.
2) Low pressure (1011mb) will be over the Bay of Biscay with a trough
extending south over eastern Spain.
3) Moderate to fresh W'lies will blow out of the Gibraltar Strait and
into the western Alboran Sea. W/SW winds will continue moderate south
of Spain and into the Southwestern Med.
4) SW'lies wrap around the eastern side of Spain. Light along the coast
overnight due to land breezes. Accelerated flow at the coast in the
afternoon due to sea breezes.
General Forecast along race route
*** FRIDAY (17-APR-2015) ***
* Gulf of Cadiz to Gibraltar Strait *
WIND: NW/N 10-15 tending W in the Strait. Winds easing in the strait after
sunrise to become light and variable.
SEAS: 1m or less
WEATHER: Mainly sunny.
* Alboran Sea *
WIND: W 10-15 in the morning mid sea. Light and variable along the coast.
Becoming light and variable in the middle portion of the sea during the day,
with local sea breezes developing on the both the Spanish and Moroccan
coast. Sea breezes will tend to be stronger in the afternoon on the Spanish
SEAS: 1m or less
WEATHER: Some scattered low clouds, otherwise mainly sunny.