Weather Forecast 01/04/2015
GAES Centros Auditivos will finish today after negotiating coastal drainage winds overnight along the Spanish coast. These drainage winds could be locally fresh at times. The NW drainage winds will likely ease and turn to an onshore SE sea breezes today prior to their finish in Barcelona. One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton and We Are Water continue to delicately sail upwind around the southern side of a high pressure ridge, making slow but steady progress northeast. The winds will eventually back left for them, allowing a more direction course toward Gibraltar. Little change is expected for Renault Captur as they are a bit trapped well to the west sailing north-northwest in the NEíly trade winds. These winds will eventually veer allowing a more northern course for them, but they still face a long upwind sail toward Gibraltar. Spirit of Hungary is entering the doldrums, which are narrow. However, winds on the northern side of the doldrums are quite left-shifted (blowing from the N), which will make for slow upwind progress for them once they clear the Equator.
*** SYNOPSIS ***
00Z WEDNESDAY (01-APR-2015)
1) The Trade wind zone of the South Atlantic between 16S and 04S along
30W. E/ESE winds at 16S veer to SE at 04S and the southern doldrums
boundary. Strongest winds within the doldrums will be between about
14S and 08S.
2) Doldrums narrow to 04S to 02S, but Níly winds on the north side are
light for some distance N. The doldrums will be wider east of 30W and
a narrower west of 30W.
3) East of 30W, Níly winds veer to more typical NE trade winds and
increase. West of 30W, NNE trade winds are more persistent from the
Equator to 07N.
4) From 07N, NE trade winds moderate but somewhat unstable north to 27N.
Winds more left-shifted to NNE and stronger off the African coast and
between the Canary Islands and Cape Verde Islands.
5) High pressure (1036mb) near 43S/17W, with a ridge extending southwest
to 30N/30W. Generally N winds off Portuguese coast veering to NE/E
across Madeira and to 30N.
6) Light and variable conditions Gibraltar Strait and across the Alboran
Sea and much of the southwestern Mediterranean Sea. Local overnight
drainage winds and daytime coastal sea breezes.
7) A NW mistral will be blowing across the Gulf of Lyon, but this breeze
is not expected to extend to the Balearic Sea or Gulf of Valencia.
Here, coastal drainage winds will dominate overnight and morning hours,
with afternoon sea breeze developing along much of the coast.
00Z THURSDAY (02-APR-2015)
1) The doldrums lying between 05S and 02S at 30W. But even north of the
doldrums, there will be some anomalously light and left-shifted winds.
Very light and headed conditions are likely even north of the doldrums
north to 05N and east of 32W. NNE trades will fill better to the
northern doldrums boundary/equator west of about 32W.
2) North of 05N, NE trades, stronger west of 30W. By 14N, the emphasis
for stronger trades shifts to east of 30W, all the way north to near
3) High pressure (1029mb) near 32N/31W with a ridge extending northeast
to another high (1033mb) over the southern Bay of Biscay. Moderate NW
flow from off the Iberian coast to Madeira and the Canary Islands.
4) A trough of low pressure will be along the Moroccan coast.
5) High pressure (1028mb) will be near Palma. Between the high and trough,
a moderate to fresh Eíly is expected south of Spain to the Gibraltar
Strait. West of the Strait, a strong Eíly outflow into the Gulf of
6) Along the eastern Spanish coast, from Ibiza to Barcelona, diurnal
winds prevail with coastal land breezes overnight and morning,
transitioning to SE sea breezes in the afternoon.
00Z FRIDAY (03-APR-2015)
1) Southern Doldrums boundary between 05S and 04S, with a northern
boundary near 03S-02S. Light and variable winds within the doldrums.
2) North of the doldrums, the trade winds have backed
uncharacteristically far to the left, blowing N/NNW at relatively
light speed. West of 30W, winds remain left-shifted up to about 04N
before veering NNE/NE and increasing to more typical speeds. However
east of 30W, lighter, left-shifted winds extend north to 07N or so.
3) NE trade winds generally moderate to fresh from 07N to 30N. From the
Canary to Cape Verde Islands, winds NNE and slightly stronger,
especially close to the African coast.
4) High pressure (1027mb) near 33N/30W, with a ridge extending northeast
to another high (1027mb) near 45N/09W. N/NE winds from off Iberia to
Madeira and 30N.
5) Mainly NE/E winds across the Gulf of Cadiz and very light along the
Moroccan coast. A stronger Eíly out of the Gibraltar Strait exit
region into the eastern Gulf.
6) Moderate Eíly winds across the Alboran Sea and Med south/southeast of
7) Weak high pressure (1023mb) south of Palma. S/SW wind around the
west/northwest periphery of this high from Denia north through the
Gulf of Valencia and Balearic Sea. This wind is eased along the
immediate coast by drainage winds, and accelerated in the afternoon by
General Forecast along race route
*** WEDNESDAY (01-APR-2015) ***
* 05S to 00N and 35W to 25W *
WIND: SE tending E 05S to 03S, easing 10 to 5. Between 03S and 01S,
generally E around 5. North of 01S, becoming N/NE 5-10. Lighter and
variable east of 30W.
SEAS: 1m or less
WEATHER: Partly cloudy, with showers and a few thunderstorms.
* 10N to 15N and 40W to 30W *
WIND: NE 10-15
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* 15N to 20N and 40W to 30W *
WIND: NE/ENE 10-15
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* 30N to 35N and 25W to 15W
WIND: ENE tending NE 10-15.
WEATHER: Partly cloudy.
* Southwestern Mediterranean Sea *
WIND: Light and variable except for coastal drainage winds overnight and
morning hours. Sea breezes along the immediate coast in the afternoon
tending SE 10-15.
WEATHER: Partly to mostly sunny