Aleix and Didac’s Weed Problems

Aleix Gelabert (One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton):

Today we had enough to stop the boat to remove the weed which had become attached to the rudders… That's why we made a device with a batten from the main sail, a wire, a piece of hose and duct tape ... With this we created a hook that allows us to reach the rudders without swimming (yesterday we swam and the water was great, but we can not stop very much...) Still, every time we have to heave to, head to the wind, to stop, until we remove it... And I’ve done that a few times today…

Emails from the boats MAR 24, 2015 08:31

Since yesterday morning weed patches have appeared; some patches are as big as basketball courts and we have to avoid them. Sometimes the log warns us that we are slowed. And sometimes on the rudder you can notice some vibration…
It seems that we left the doldrums behind and the trade winds are slowly settling in, but the the speed and direction of the wind is still very variable.
In the afternoon Didac has had to climb to repair a tear we had in the solent. We saw it last night, sailing, but we left it until the wind dropped and we were able to repair it. It has not been easy because the movement and swaying of the rig did not allow him to get to work on it and to stick the patch on,.. We’ve done it sailing with the J1 and the main sail because we feel the breath of We Are Water on our necks and we can not afford to slow down …
See you soon

Aleix